Slip and fall prevention during April showers
April is here which means so are April rain showers and increased risks of slip and fall accidents due to wet ground and floors.
Slips and falls cause 15% of all deaths, second to motor vehicle accidents. Following these precautions can reduce your risk of being injured in a slip and fall accident.
- When you come into an area from outdoors in rainy weather, wipe your shoes thoroughly on a doormat to prevent the wetness of your shoes from making you slip and, perhaps fall.
- When walking on a wet surface, don’t turn too sharply when changing your direction.
- Be on the lookout for water on the floor. Even small quantities of water, sometimes almost too small to see, can be slippery.
- Use handrails especially during inclement weather.
- Don’t carry objects up or down steps that may obstruct your view of water on the stairs.
- Walk where you are supposed to walk. Don’t take shortcuts; especially don’t take shortcuts through areas where its obvious pedestrian traffic is not intended to go.
- Always try and wear the best non-skid shoe possible, especially paying attention to bad weather. Shoes that have worn, smooth soles should not be worn.
- Avoid high heals during inclement weather. Select something that has a large surface area, which has good traction.
- Being alert is one of the surest ways to reduce injuries caused by slips and falls. This includes being aware of your environment, personal safety, and the safety of co-workers. Be safety-conscious.
If you have sustained an injury as a result of a slip and fall caused by the condition of the property, you may be entitled to compensation. Speak to a lawyer right away.